Articles on: FAQs Japan
This article is also available in:

Do I need to join the Japanese National Health Insurance?

Yes. Since 2018, it has been mandatory to enroll in the National Health Insurance, a process we'll guide you through during our Local Orientation.

For your first year in Japan, the National Health Insurance typically costs around JPY 1500 per month. It covers 70% of medical costs, treatments, and medication, though it's important to note that it only covers the cheapest treatment options. You are responsible for the remaining 30%, which you can pay directly at the hospital or clinic.

Considering that medical treatments in Japan can be pricey, and you might prefer more comprehensive care, we strongly recommend obtaining additional travel health insurance. This way, you can request a refund for the 30% not covered by the National Health Insurance.

It's worth noting that, for some countries, having travel health insurance is a requirement to apply for the Working Holiday Visa in Japan.

Updated on: 26/12/2023