Articles on: FAQs Japan
This article is also available in:

Which possibilities exist to join a program in Japan if I cannot get a Working Holiday Visa for Japan?

If you cannot obtain a Working Holiday Visa (either because it is not available for your nationality, you are under 18 or over 30, or you have already held a Working Holiday visa), many nationalities can join some of our programs on a Temporary Visitor Status. These programs include unpaid internships, volunteer work, or language lessons.

On a Temporary Visitor Status, many nationalities can stay for 90 days (e.g. Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Korea, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Turkey, United States and some others) or even for 180 days (Austria, Liechtenstein, Ireland, Switzerland, UK, Germany). With the Temporary Visitor Status it is NOT allowed to have an income in Japan though. Some nationalities only get 15 or 30 days on a Temporary Visitor Status and other need to apply for a Tourist Visa prior to their arrival.

For those desiring an extended stay of any nationality (6 months to 2 years) and wishing to study Japanese, the option is available to enroll in full-time (20 hours/week) Japanese language lessons on a Student Visa, which allows you to apply for a Work Permit, enabling engagement in any fully remunerated job for a maximum of 28 hours per week. This also opens the opportunity to utilize our Working Holiday support package.

There are fixed deadlines for the student visa application submission and language lesson commencement, typically requiring a lead time of 4-6 months. If you prefer not to wait, you can enter Japan on a Temporary Visitor Status, and the Student Visa can be issued in Japan. During the time on a Temporary Visitor Status, you are not allowed to earn an income in Japan, but you can participate in language lessons or do an unpaid internship or volunteer work.

Updated on: 29/12/2023